* LPD makes rape arrest (Eloria Newell James, Laurel Leader-Call)
Local law enforcement officials have arrested a Laurel man in connection with the rape of a Laurel woman.
* Tax Defense Network adding 150 jobs in Jacksonville (San Antonio Business Journal)
A local company that helps people manage their tax debt plans to hire about 150 workers in Jacksonville by the end of the year.
* Nine arrests over ‘�40m mortgage scam’ (Mark Hughes, The Independent Online)
A group of housing developers, solicitors and surveyors are alleged to have defrauded the now-nationalised high street bank Bradford & Bingley out of �40m in a buy-to-let mortgage scam.
* Conti pleads guilty to mortgage fraud scheme (Erie Times-News)
Francis R. Conti of Waterford pleaded guilty to mail fraud and conspiracy charges this afternoon in relation to a widespread Erie mortgage fraud scheme.
* FORECLOSURES IN APPLE SOAR 44% (Carl Campanile, New York Post)
The number of foreclosure proceedings shot up 44 percent in New York City last month, nearly double the statewide average, according to a study released yesterday.
* Three N.J. companies accused of mortgage fraud (Troy Graham, Philadelphia Inquirer)
Attorney General Anne Milgram said today the state has filed civil fraud lawsuits against three corporate defendants, charging them with mortgage fraud and loan modification fraud.
* Eight held over major mortgage fraud probe (Reuters America)
Detectives have arrested eight people in connection with a suspected �40m mortgage fraud, police said today.
* CFO Sink recommends steps to reduce hurricane risk (South Florida Business Journal)
Alex Sink, Floridas chief financial officer, is advising state legislators to implement gradual steps to reduce hurricane risk and protect homeowners
* Nationwide mortgage fury (Tony Levene, Guardian Unlimited)
Nationwide customers feel aggrieved by the lender’s mortgage stance. Photograph: Guardian/David Sillitoe
* NAACP: Banks steered blacks to bad loans (Newsweek)
The NAACP is accusing Wells Fargo and HSBC of forcing blacks into subprime mortgages while whites with identical qualifications got lower rates.